Saturday, April 2, 2011

Q&A with jewelry designer/radio host/songwriter Jamilah Almansoob

Designer Jamilah Almansoob for Epiphany Amor

I had the pleasure of interviewing jewelry designer/radio host/songwriter Jamilah Alamansoob for Global Runway. We talked about her collection Epiphany Amor, her song writing, and her radio show "Pillow Talk". Check out the interview belowwww! xo


1. Give us a little background on yourself - Where are you from and how did you start getting into creating jewelry?
My background is PuertoRican and Arabic. My father is from Yemen and my Mom is from Puerto Rico. In Saudi Arabia the gold is very rich and the jewelry is very beautiful and he pieces are unique. Any women seen in this gold just has a look of Royalty. My Father always made sure I had a few jewelry pieces from the country and he would always say to me, you look like a Doll a Royal doll, therefore the name Royal and Jemz came about. My name Jamilah, actually means beautiful in Arabic. My dad would say I remind him or a rare Jem in which only royalty family could be able to afford.

I was born and raised in NYC, Brooklyn for that matter. The Big Apple the City that never sleeps. I been writing and designing since I was 9 years old. At a very early age I had a sense of Fashion and a great appreciation for Music. Since I was a youngster Designing was also something that came naturally. I would always receive compliments from family, friends and strangers on my wardrobe and my sense of style. I would always mix and match clothes and kept up with what was trendy. One of my good friends invited me to work with her as a stylist assistant for an MTV gig, I accepted the invitation and had a ball working. The experience of shopping for clothes and jewelry was awesome, sort of the feeling a child will get at a candy store! At this point i was curious as to how far I could go with this. It hit me. This was not just a hobby it was my career, my path, my calling in life.

Jamilah with R&B singer Olivia

2. You are also a songwriter, how did you begin with that?
My song writing ,started off as poetry and short stories. I would allow friends to read it and give opinions on it and they would all tell me how great of a song the poem could be. At first writing Music and Poetry was just a stress reliever or a stimulation of a high, however as I wrote more, I discovered what every one else was saying, I really did have a song so I decided to try it. I then networked with a view producers and Artist who could sing or make a hot tracks but just couldn't find the right song for it. Writing music was so natural for me, I would sit in a studio for hours and just create songs after songs, it felt as if I was creating magic! Finally, I realized this was not just a hobby just like my designs and since then I been writing music non-stop.


3. You're also a host of the popular online radio show 'Pillow Talk', how did that come about?
Pillow Talk came about a little over a year ago. I was invited as a special guest, however the show did so well and the chemistry was so right that the other two host on the show asked me to come on board as a permitted host. They are actually my clients that I manage. We really have such a great time on Pillow-Talk. We have a sister/client friendship its awesome.


4. How do you find the inspiration for 'Epiphany Amor'?
The inspiration behind the line is a very touchy sensitive one for me. Designing, fashion and music has always been my passion, however with everything i had going on in my life things began to get a little overwhelming. I felt as if i was doing so much yet going no where. I then decided I would leave my job for a few months, along with writing music and designing and go back to school for my MBA. At that moment, I decided not to concentrate on too much. Although i enjoyed the MBA program, I want happy because i was not doing what I loved, my writing and designing. Then in Dec 2009, I fell and fractured 9 bones around my tail and pelvic bones. It was horrible and I spent a few months in a wheelchair and then on crutches. During my first night in ICU, I had an Epiphany! it finally hit me, my life flashed before my eyes on exactly what I should be doing with my life. Giving up on my song writing and Designs and going back to school was not the answer. When released from the hospital, instead of being sad and depress, I used my time to create and to prepare my line. EpiphanyAmor was the perfect name for it. My Epiphany and my Amor for it.


5. Your first client was Beyonce Knowles (which she wore a pair of shades from your "Royal Doll collection") How do you feel about that?
First I want to say that I admire Beyonce Knowles career and who she is as a person. Having her accept my shades felt so great and I was more then humble and extremely happy. I was actually invited to that event the day I gave the Royal Doll shades by a very special person who I call "TINY TINY" (smiles) he felt this would be a great opportunity for me and turns out it was. I gratefully appreciate that day. Jay-Z and Beyonce were very much accepting to Epiphany Amor and I will never forget that day.


6. Any other dream clients you hope to see one day wearing your collection?
I must say having the ones I already have feels really good. From Beyonce Knowles, owning a pair of Epiphany Amor, to the great Artist TINA who currently has a single featuring rapper Fat.Joe, to the lovely Olivia who owns more then a hand full of items is an awesome feeling all together. My future dream clients would be Natasha Bedingfield, Rihanna, Trina, and Lady GaGa. In no perticular order I love them all the same and respect their careers. This would definely bring a joker smile on my face. If you take a look into my line you will see something that they call can wear.

R&B singer Olivia holding a piece from the Epiphany Amor collection

7. What can we expect from you in 2011? Any upcoming projects you're working on?
I have a few projects in works right now, however at this moment Im afraid I will have to keep a tight lip on it. What you can expect is to see more of me and my work. I actually have a blog ; epiphanyamor.onsugar.com. Here you can follow me and keep up with updates. I also have a youtube channel- Epiphanyamor.com, that I started in January of 2011. On EpiphanyAmor Channel you will find video clips of Epiphany Amor Collection. My video Director David is great at keeping it current. Behind the Scenes will also be played.

Musician TINA wearing Epiphany Amor

8. Where can people buy your collection 'Epiphany Amor' and where can they also go listen to your radio show 'Pillow Talk'?
You can purchase Epiphany Amor on my site at www.epiphanyamor.com. What Im doing Sarai for this special week coming. Im offering all your readers a 20% off

You can listen to Pillow-Talk via web on www.blogtalkradio.com/pillowtalk, Call the station at 347-996-3049 each wednesday from 9pm-11pm and we are also on I-tunes, just go to PillowXTalk.


To know more about Epiphany Amor, you can follow her
on Twitter or Facebook, click on the link below:


- SC xx

No comments:

Post a Comment