Monday, November 23, 2009

Ymm of the Week-Kisaan Howard


Full Name: Kisaan Howard

Age: 34

How many children 2

Date of birth and Astrology sign 12/9/74 SAGITARIUS

Hometown: BROOKLYN, NY

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I have one sister and two brothers. I’ve had to really struggle to get where I am today. Both of my parents were heroine addicts. My father was in and out of jail. With an addiction it’s hard to care for four children, so there were times we went without. Because my parents were out there, I really had no structure, so I basically did what ever I wanted to do. Some of those things I’m not going to say, but we had to eat. Thru all of that I still went to school. I think school was an outlet for me to get away from all the craziness around me. I attended Brooklyn Technical HS, but was asked to leave in the eleventh grade due to my grades and truancy. High school was the worst time in my life because I didn’t fit in. I couldn’t invite friends over; I couldn’t dress like the other kids. Now that I look back I realize that I was very depressed in HS. Even though I flunked out I still wanted to graduate, so I transferred to an alternative HS, City As School, where I was able to graduate on time. It took me a year before I decided that I wanted to go to college so I applied to NYC Technical College to see if I could make it. It was at this time that things were falling apart at home and we lost our home so we had to stay with relatives. That’s when it really hit me that I don’t want to live like this and the only way I’m going to make something of myself is to go to school because the streets are sure not going to take care of me. I went from City Tech, AAS; to York, BSW; and then on to NYU, MSW. I have worked as a case worker in a foster care agency. I then moved on to work as a therapist in a mental health agency. My next stop was working as a medical social worker. I then moved on to provide mental health services on Riker’s Island. I am now with the Department of Health, working with the Newborn Home Visiting Program. I just want to let you know that my father did kick his addiction during his last incarceration, but contracted HIV and has passed on. My mother has been clean for 12 years, and she is a vital part of my life and my progression. Even though it was tough we made it. This is just a snap shot, there is so much more that I can say.


Aspiring Occupation: Within the next five years I plan to open my own residence for the mentally ill.

A quote that inspires you: SHOOT FOR THE MOON BECAUSE EVEN IF YOU MISS YOU’LL STILL LAND IN THE STARS!


Hobbies and Interest: I love to travel. I am also an avid reader. I enjoy spending time with my children and blessing them everything that I was unable to do at their age.


If you currently have a business,website, blog etc.Please submit the 'Name 'and explain what its about. Nothing at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment